CPSC works to save lives and keep families safe by reducing the unreasonable risk of injuries and deaths associated with consumer products and fulfilling its vision to be the recognized global leader in consumer product safety. CPSC does this by:
- Issuing and enforcing mandatory standards or banning consumer products if no feasible standard would adequately protect the public;
- Obtaining the recall of products and arranging for a repair, replacement or refund for recalled products;
- Researching potential product hazards;
- Developing voluntary standards with standards organizations, manufacturers and businesses;
- Informing and educating consumers directly and through traditional, online, and social media and by working with foreign, state and local governments and private organizations; and
- Educating manufacturers worldwide about our regulations, supply chain integrity and development of safe products.
CPSC’s Office of Import Surveillance works closely with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to identify and examine imported shipments of consumer products. As part of this effort, CPSC has colocated investigators at ports of entry who work side-by-side with CBP staff. CPSC also works to educate importers, manufacturers, and Customs brokers on CPSC’s standards and procedures.