Arnold & Porter is seeking an Engineering Patent Agent for the Intellectual Property practice group. This position is full-time and permanent, and may be located in the following offices: Boston, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, or Washington DC. The Patent Agent works with Patent Attorneys to secure patents by preparing, filing, and prosecuting applications involving new inventions with the U.S. Patent & Trademark office.
Responsibilities Include but Are Not Limited To:
- Evaluating the patentability of innovations and invention disclosures.
- Preparing, drafting, and filing patent applications.
- Drafting responses to domestic and foreign Office Actions.
- Performing research and analysis and providing guidance on a variety of patent and Intellectual Property related issues.
- Performing prior art database searches for patentability and freedom to operate analyses.
- Preparing draft amendments to patent claims, specifications, and abstracts.
- Assisting patent attorneys with the global prosecution of complex patent families.
- A minimum of two years of experience in both drafting original patent applications and prosecuting pending applications in the electrical and mechanical arts.
- A degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, or equivalent technical experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Candidates currently licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as an agent are strongly preferred but consideration will be made to candidates with extensive experience who are planning to take the Patent Bar.
- Familiarity with Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) practice is preferred.
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software.
- Excellent academic credentials and references.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively and handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail.
Interested candidates are asked to Apply Online with their resume.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $120,000 to $180,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.
Arnold & Porter is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy and childbirth (including breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Our Firm’s equal opportunity policy applies to all employment practices and terms and conditions, including, without limitation, recruitment, employment, assignment, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, disciplinary action and terminations. For purposes of the firm’s Anti-discrimination, Anti-harassment and Affirmative Action Policies, the term “race” includes, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles, such as braids, locks, and twists.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 (202) 942-6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an EO Employer – M/ F/ Veteran/ Disability/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.
About Arnold & Porter:
At Arnold & Porter, we are client-driven and industry-focused. Our lawyers practice in more than 40 areas across the litigation, regulatory and transactional spectrum to help clients with complex needs stay ahead of the global market, anticipate opportunities and address issues that impact the very value of their businesses. Our global reach, experience and deep knowledge allow us to work across geographic, cultural, technological and ideological borders, to offer clients forward-looking, results-oriented solutions that resolve their U.S., international, and cross-border legal needs.