Our client, a respected IP boutique law firm with a focus on patent prosecution excellence, is actively seeking an Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mechanical Engineering Patent Attorney to join their growing team in Northern Virginia. Qualified candidates will have the ability to work in a team environment and preferably have a technical background in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, software, and telecommunications. Candidates must also have strong academic records and two or more years of significant experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications. Ideal candidates also have a post-graduate degree and experience with complex Patent Office proceedings, client counseling with opinion drafting, and/or other related patent practice experience. This is a full-time, permanent, and remote position.
- Draft, review, negotiate, file, and prosecute patent applications on behalf of clients.
- Manage patent portfolios, including conducting patent searches, drafting patent applications, and responding to office actions.
- Advise on patentability of new technologies and inventions, freedom to operate, and validity of third-party rights.
- Focus on patent filings, due-diligence, landscape analysis, freedom-to-operate analysis, and validity assessment arising from collaboration with industry partners.
- Support all aspects of Patent litigation, including discovery, depositions, motion practice, and trials.
- Draft responses to rejection of a patent application for an invention from the United States Patent and Trademark Office and other worldwide Patent Offices.
- Work with clients on innovative and cutting-edge technologies to procure patent protection and build IP portfolios.
- Develop and implement strategic IP programs to protect the company’s intellectual property assets.
- Collaborate with the R&D team to identify patentable inventions and ensure proper documentation of inventions.
- Stay up-to-date with changes in IP law and advise the company on potential impacts.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to interact professionally with both internal and external clients on all levels.
- Ability to work as part of a global professional team.
- Proven ability to concentrate on the management and pay close attention to the details of projects.
- Establish and maintain internal practices, procedures, and technology for coordinating and streamlining patent-related information, filings, and deadlines.
- Demonstrated advanced writing skills with the ability to research information as needed to clearly and concisely communicate ideas to internal and external clients.
- Ability to effectively and respectfully communicate with lawyers, firm management, staff, and clients one-on-one both verbally and through written correspondence, surveys, memos, etc.
- Ability to work well under pressure with flexibility and adaptability to changing work priorities, workflow, and work assignments.
- Proven ability to think creatively, using good judgment and decision-making capabilities.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school and an active member in good standing of any state bar.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in patent prosecution, preferably in legal services.
- Industry experience (or equivalent) in the fields of Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, and/or Machine Learning is strongly preferred.
- Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Interested Candidates are asked to submit their resume and a writing sample to Beth Harris.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Redda Group:
Redda Group is a boutique consultancy and executive search firm. We work across industries with leadership teams to lead them on transformational journeys and to find and place critical leaders to execute their growth strategies. Headquartered in Washington, DC, Redda Group is a woman and minority-owned business entity.