Lathrop GPM, one of the nation’s leading law firms, has an immediate opening in any of the firm’s locations, for a Manager – Intellectual Property (IP) Services.
Lathrop GPM is a full-service, Am Law 200 law firm with offices in Boston, MA, Chicago, IL, Dallas, TX, Denver, CO, Jefferson City, MO, Kansas City, MO, Los Angeles, CA, Minneapolis, MN, Overland Park, KS, St. Cloud, MN, St. Louis, MO, and Washington, D.C. Our clients are at the heart of everything we do. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, and a professional, challenging, yet comfortable hybrid working environment. This position can be located in any of our locations.
Reporting directly to the firm’s Director Practice Management/Practice Group Leader, the Manager – IP Services, will play a key leadership role in the overall IP administrative infrastructure at Lathrop GPM. This position will be responsible for all administrative elements related to management of our Docketing team. This professional will also play an integral role in the development and adherence to policies and procedures across all of our IP service areas which are designed to meet the specific requirements of our clients.
- Monitor, evaluate, and revise workflow processes and procedures to improve efficiency and to proactively respond to changes in USPTO rules and procedures
- Manage and coordinate scheduling and coordination of docketing team meetings
- Develop, implement, and maintain a training program to ensure the continuous enhancement of the IP skills of the IP support group.
- Direct supervision of Docketing Leads, Docketing Specialists, Patent Assistants, and Annuities Specialist including the daily tracking of time, attendance, and punctuality
- Direct and prioritize the department workflow in support of established goals with a strong focus on accuracy, productivity standards, and risk management
- Interact with firm leadership, management, attorneys/paralegals, and assistants on a regular basis to ensure operational concerns are addressed in a timely fashion
- Act as back-up to all positions under management (or assign back-ups as necessary) to maintain firm workflow when warranted due to workload or staffing, including:
- manage practice group’s INTERNAL IP mailbox; respond to all inquiries and new case distribution
- process domestic and foreign mail and faxes
- create new domestic and foreign patent application files including entry of case information and pertinent deadlines in Foundation IP docketing system
- process PTO mail and papers (responsive and non-responsive) filed at the U.S. and foreign patent offices
- process daily PTO filings and ensure that the last day docket is cleared every day
- Maintain advance knowledge of U.S. and foreign patent prosecution laws, rules and regulations and amend department procedures and/or docketing workflows as needed
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues and questions pertaining to docketing and/or annuities
- Manage quality control and workflow coordination as it relates to the firm’s docketing system, projects, and team
- Maintain departmental databases and spreadsheets including the firm’s customer number process (sponsoring, data cleansing, etc.) at the USPTO
- Manage the creation, scheduling and distribution of daily and weekly reports
- Oversee process and procedure documentation creation and maintenance
- Manage new user creation and upkeep in IP systems:
- Foundation IP parties
- PracticeLink users and permissions
- PracticeLink users and permissions for CPA Global
- Manage record count and retention policies within Foundation IP to maintain monthly subscription costs
- Monitor changes at the USPTO office, conveying pertinent information to the department and serving as resource for all practitioners in the department
- Participate with intake and onboarding of all lateral groups, individual practitioners, and new client transfers into the practice group from an operations perspective; includes training new hires on systems and processes
- Test new updates and fixes including troubleshooting issues and establishing best practices prior to implementation
- Manage the outgoing transfers process and coordination with the firm’s Information Governance team
Supervisory Responsibilities Include:
- Directly supervises employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Plans, assigns, and directs work
- Conducts performance evaluations
- Establishes salary levels at the time of hire and at the point of performance reviews.
- Facilitates conflict resolutions
- Approves weekly time records
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- A minimum of 5 years in law firms with superior knowledge of patent and trademark prosecution and three+ years of supervisory/management experience, college degree preferred
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under tight time constraints
- Advanced knowledge of USPTO rules, practices and procedures required
- Advanced knowledge of EFS filings at the USPTO required
- Previous experience with Foundation IP (FIP), Practice Link a plus
- Previous experience managing IP systems and processes required
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others; collaboration is key in this position
- Laser focused on and appreciation for risk management which is the foundational element of all IP operations
- Excellent communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Strong proofreading skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and adjust quickly to changing priorities
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to manage time, people, and resources in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, manage projects and handle multiple competing priorities
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to constantly changing priorities
This position will support multiple time zones. Interested candidates will be expected to work outside of scheduled hours as needed.
Interested candidates are asked to Apply Online with their resume/CV.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
Lathrop GPM celebrates and supports diversity and the benefits it brings to its workplaces, clients and communities. Lathrop GPM is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.
It is the employment policy and practice of Lathrop GPM to recruit and hire employees without discrimination because of race, color, sex, gender, religion, age, national origin, military status, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by applicable law.
Lathrop GPM LLP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, and a professional, challenging, yet comfortable working environment. Lathrop GPM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiting agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of Lathrop GPM without prior approval from an HR Manager will be considered unsolicited and the property of Lathrop GPM.
EOE/M/F/D/V NO PHONE CALLS
Current anticipated salary range for Colorado applicants (as required by CO law) is $100,000 – $150,000. Actual salary will vary and may be above or below the range.
Full comprehensive benefit plan including health care, retirement plan and paid days off, including PTO, parental leave and short/long term disability.
Join the Discussion
No comments yet.