Pillsbury is seeking a registered patent agent with expertise in biotechnology.
Pillsbury seeks a registered patent agent with 3+ years of experience preparing and prosecuting patents. This is a full-time, permanent position located in the state of California (San Diego, Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, San Francisco), Texas (Austin), or Virginia (Northern Virginia).
With more than 100 Intellectual Property lawyers around the world, Pillsbury provides clients with successful and comprehensive IP strategies to protect, manage, assert, defend and leverage their IP assets. Our dynamic team comprises professional engineers, scientists and lawyers with advanced degrees in electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering, biology, chemistry, physics and computer science.
- developing and implementing patent filing strategies,
- conducting interviews with clients to obtain invention disclosures,
- preparing patent applications under the supervision of a patent attorney,
- analyzing office actions and preparing responses under the supervision of a IP partner or attorney,
- conducting interviews with Patent Office examiners,
- other patent prosecution-related activity,
- assisting in formulating and preparing infringement and validity opinions,
- working on patent post-grant proceedings,
- assisting in patent and other litigation,
- supporting intellectual property licensing and other transactions,
- writing scientific and technical documents in clear concise English,
- effectively managing a docket with multiple clients and deadlines,
- conducting legal and technical research and analysis using all available resources in support of various patent-related matters,
- working closely with attorneys, other agents, and staff to research the invention and draft the specifications using technical expertise in the field,
- following the ethical requirements as set forth by the Firm’s professional liability insurer,
- performing various other tasks as requested/needed.
- Ph.D. in biological sciences, preferably immunology, virology, molecular biology, cell and gene therapy, biochemistry, cell biology, or genetics,
- successful completion of the patent agent examination,
- 3+ years of experience preparing and prosecuting patents,
- excellent attention to detail,
- strong interpersonal communication skills,
- must be a highly-motivated, business-minded, team player,
- must be able to learn new technologies quickly and have a strong ability to write scientific and technical documents in clear, concise English,
- must be able to effectively manage multiple matters simultaneously with various deadlines,
- must possess the technical and analytical skills necessary to conduct complex and detailed analysis of patent-related matters,
- must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate with a diverse group of attorneys, staff, and clients and provide information with courtesy and tact in person, electronically, and by phone.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their resumes, transcripts, and writing sample via email to the Recruiting Manager, Angela Sanford.
Please mention you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities™ Job Board.
About Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP:
Pillsbury is an international law firm with a particular focus on the technology & life sciences, energy, financial, and real estate & construction sectors. Recognized by Chambers USA, IAM Patent 1000, U.S. News Best Law Firms and The Legal 500 U.S., Pillsbury’s Patent team is highly regarded in all aspects of patent prosecution, optimization, enforcement and protection. Pillsbury secures broad patent protection for domestic and international organizations. We file over 3,900 patent applications and obtain nearly 1,600 patents for clients annually, manage thousands of domestic and international patents and help optimize patent value through licensing arrangements.