Former Akin Gump Litigator Launches New Patent and Technology Counseling Law Firm

Samar Shah

Samar Shah, Esq. announces the launch of a new San Antonio based boutique law firm, Shah IP Law, PLLC.   The new law firm will concentrate on intellectual property counseling with an emphasis on patent portfolio development, patent prosecution, and other advanced prosecution strategies, such as appeals, reexaminations, and IPR proceedings.

Mr. Shah, a former patent litigator at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, and Paul Hastings LLP founded the new law firm to serve the growing tech scene in San Antonio and central Texas by taking advantage of new trends in legal tech that reduce costs and increase efficiencies in dispensing legal services.

“When I was litigating patents at Akin Gump, I received a lot of questions from established and start-up tech companies in San Antonio about patent protection and intellectual property strategy,” said Mr. Shah.  But he couldn’t serve those potential clients at his previous firm because the firm specialized in patent litigation and did not prosecute patents.  “After I turned down a number of clients, I realized that there is a huge demand for patent counseling services in San Antonio.  At that point, I decided to put to use my prior experience in patent prosecution and patent counseling by serving clients in San Antonio.”

Prior to moving to San Antonio, Mr. Shah practiced patent law with one of Silicon Valley’s most prominent technology law firms.  “I wrote my first patent for Palm (the maker of the then-ubiquitous Palm Pilot PDA) when I was just a second-year law student.  I immediately fell in love with the subject, and haven’t looked back since.”  Mr. Shah cut his teeth in the field by writing patents for technology titans in Silicon Valley such as Google and Facebook as well as other start-ups.  “I spent about 80% of my time there writing patents for Facebook and Google, and I was able to work with software and medical device start-ups the other 20% of the time.  Those were formative years for me, and although I enjoyed litigating patents at Akin Gump and Paul Hastings, I craved working alongside inventors and super smart founders and executives of technology companies.”

Mr. Shah’s decision to start his own law firm took shape when he discovered that technology companies were starting to disrupt how legal services were being dispensed.  “In the past, there was a huge advantage to practicing law at a large law firm because you could gain a lot of insight into how the patent office was prosecuting patents by simply talking to your colleagues down the hall.  By contrast, if you were at a small shop, you were sort of shooting in the dark and you may end up facing more rejections than your colleagues at larger firm.”

About Shah IP Law, PLLC.

Shah IP Law, PLLC is a boutique law firm in San Antonio, Texas, which specializes in intellectual property protection with an emphasis on patent prosecution. Shah IP Law, PLLC uses big data analytics and other advances in legal tech to turn a traditional disadvantage into a competitive advantage.  “By leveraging data analytics from Juristat and others, we can now know more about how a particular art-unit or an examiner at the Patent Office is prosecuting patents then my colleagues at large firms who don’t use data analytics.  We also use technology offered by companies such as ReedTech and AltLegal to automate many of the drafting and docketing tasks that were previously performed by expensive attorneys or paralegals.”  Moreover, the firm stated that it is in the process of building its own technology software that would automate more of the back-end legal processes for businesses.  “By leveraging these technologies, we are able to provide IP services that rival the biggest law firms in the country, but at a fraction of the cost.”


Warning & Disclaimer: The pages, articles and comments on do not constitute legal advice, nor do they create any attorney-client relationship. The articles published express the personal opinion and views of the author as of the time of publication and should not be attributed to the author’s employer, clients or the sponsors of Read more.

Join the Discussion

No comments yet.